Have you always seen an Interior Designer receiving compliments on their designs? Or have you seen your daughter or your friend or eventually you yourself liking to decorate interiors of your home or go help a friend.
If yes then you should know what is it like to have a life of an Interior Designer. Before you make a life-altering career choice or assumptions about someone’s design , there are some things you should know about this design world.
Interior designers face challenges every day; some of these may not appeal to you, while others may excite you and open doors to a career that you never thought was possible.
It may seem obvious, but in order to become an interior designer, you need to have an innate flair for color, spatial arrangements, architecture, designs and textiles.
Living as an Interior Designer, you need to know a lot of information on architectural elements, building materials, ergonomics, anthropometric, and many more. An Interior Designer can design an entire house or a small condo and have it built really well!
Many people think of Interior Designers as simply decorators. And yes, that can be a big part of their role. But they can also draw up house and make demolition plans, they know how to use AutoCAD and 3D Rendering Software. These things take a lot of skill to master and can be very useful in their day to day life.
Personally, I have found there to be many advantages to being an Interior Designer so far but also some disadvantages. So if you’re thinking about an Interior designers work or would want to take it as a career, here are some things to consider about :
- You learn how to draw properly. This can actually be taught and you can be a decent artist.
- You learn how to successfully use impressive software that can be useful as a designer.
AutoCAD is not easy to learn – but once you know it, its a great space planning tool for even your own home.
- You can help your friends out – and get great references.
Everyone can use a designer once in their life, and good friends are usually willing to recommend you.
- You can get great deals from many different suppliers and retailers.
- You can start to have great contacts with quality contractors and tradespeople.
- You learn a lot about project and client management.
- Your constantly tempted by beautiful designs and decor. Its our job to stay on top of trends, retailers, sales, and more.
A successful interior designer is a people pleaser and sometimes a mind reader — someone who can steer clients toward a favorable outcome while making them feel they are in full control of the design choices. Interior designers are constantly balancing their design decisions and their clients’ desires. Hence concluding, It’s not a cakewalk, to say the least.